November 7, 2016
Whether it’s a baseball game, a football game or a business game the team with the best players will more often win. Bringing the right people on board is important for any business, but Startups in particular can’t afford to make hiring mistakes. When money is tight and credibility has yet to be established, a wrong hire can set you back for months or keep your business from taking off altogether. In addition, a lack of resources and recognition can make it difficult for startups to lure the best and brightest. Here are a few tips on how to how to attract, hire & retain talent into a Startup.
Where hiring goes wrong and how to do it right?
The Worrying Stats:
- 70% of hires would be classed as mis-hires,
- 80% of people don’t enjoy their jobs,
- 54% of sales people across all businesses hit their targets.
- Employer Brand is: The attributes and value that is associated with your company as a place to work.
- Talent Brand is: The highly social, totally public version of your employer brand that incorporates what talent thinks, feels and shares about your company as a place to work.
- Marketing & Employer Branding: Communicating and amplifying the value of a brand to your target audience.
Great things in business are never achieved by one person. It takes a team to achieve success from the bottom to the top. To get the right motivation within your business, here is what you need to do with your branding.
- Brand like you mean it - put passion into your marketing messages and don't just reserve powerful communication tools for your consumers.
- Attract and engage the right talent - do your research and go after the talent that will compliment, reinforce and grow your brand.
SWOT Analysis – Know your own business
Target the right Candidates based on;
Make them a real person – who are they and how do you get them to want to work for you?
- Getting the talent - it is not always about a hefty salary and benefits.
- The candidate journey - make it special from the first interaction.
- Experience is the least reliable predictor of future performance - on paper success doesn't always assure a perfect fit with your business and existing team.
What traits should you look for in candidates?
- Generosity Gene
Retain that Retention Rate
- Meet expectations - do as you say you do.
- Onboarding and Orientation - This is the process of getting new hires adjusted to the social and performance aspects of their new jobs quickly and smoothly. It is the process through which new hires learn the attitudes, knowledge, skills, and behaviors required to function effectively within an organization. Basically get them started on the right foot.
- Perform exit interviews - and take the feedback seriously (not personally)
- Manage performance - set realistic KPI's and share in the rewards
- Tell your story and have a clear employee proposition
- Have a process in place
- Deliver internally what you say externally
WHO WE ARE
Swiss Gulf Partners are experts in Digital and Technology recruitment. We love all things digital and tech! Actually, we’re a bit nerdy about it, but above all else our talent is finding talent.
Being passionate about building relationships with our clients and our candidate community is our highest priority. Our clients know that we understand what it takes to build award winning teams and businesses, we’ve done it time and time again.
Our candidate community know that we find them the best opportunities to make their next career choice with confidence. We embrace ambition, work with ambitious people and dynamic companies.
We’re a small group, making a big impact! We have teams dedicated to providing permanent, temporary and contract recruitment solutions across the digital and technology sphere.
HR & recruitment tips supplied by CREATIVE ZONE client James Kevan of Swiss Gulf Partners - A HR Recruitment Company based in Dubai.